Secretary Pompeo’s Remarks At The American University In Cairo: “A Force For Good: America’s Reinvigorated Role In The Middle East”
“In just 24 months, the United States under President Trump has reasserted its traditional role as a force for good in this region, because we’ve learned from our mistakes. We have rediscovered our voice. We have rebuilt our relationships. We have rejected false overtures from enemies.”
– Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, January 10, 2019
THE UNITED STATES: A FORCE FOR GOOD IN THE MIDDLE EAST
“For those who fret about the use of American power, remember: America has always been a liberating force, not an occupying power, in the Middle East. We’ve never dreamed of domination. Can you say the same of the Iranian regime?
- Today in Iraq, at the government’s invitation, we have approximately 5,000 troops – where there were once 166,000.
- President Trump empowered U.S. commanders in the field to strike ISIS quicker and harder than ever before. Today, 99 percent of the territory ISIS once held is now liberated and life is returning to normal for millions of Iraqis and Syrians.
- The United States has provided $2.5 billion in humanitarian assistance to Iraq since 2014. Together, with our allies, nearly $30 billion in grants and financing have been generated to aid Iraq’s reconstruction during the Kuwait Reconstruction Conference last year.
CONFRONTING RADICAL ISLAMIST TERRORISM TOGETHER
“We ask every peace-loving nation of the Middle East to shoulder new responsibilities for defeating Islamist extremism.” – Secretary Pompeo, January 10, 2019
- On President Trump’s very first trip abroad, he called on Muslim-majority nations to “meet history’s great test—to conquer extremism and vanquish the forces of terrorism.”
- America will continue to confront the ugly reality of radical Islamist terrorism. The Trump Administration is calling on allies and partners to do more to confront this shared threat.
- America bolstered a coalition of allies and partners to dismantle the Islamic State’s caliphate. Of the territory ISIS once held, 99 percent is now liberated.
- The United States will remain a steadfast partner on counterterrorism. Our airstrikes in the region will continue as targets arise. We will keep working with our partners in the Coalition to Defeat ISIS. We will continue to hunt down terrorists in the Middle East and around the world who seek safe havens.
- The United States will continue to help our partners guard their borders, prosecute terrorists, screen travelers, assist refugees, and more.
OPPOSING THE IRANIAN REGIME AND ITS PROXIES
“The nations of the Middle East will never enjoy security, achieve economic stability, or advance the dreams of its peoples if Iran’s revolutionary regime persists on its current course.”
– Secretary Pompeo, January 10, 2019
- The Trump Administration is confronting the Iranian regime’s campaigns of destruction and destabilization in the region and around the world.
- America’s economic sanctions against the regime are among the strongest in history, and will keep getting tougher until the Iranian regime changes its policies that threaten the United States and the international community. Secretary Pompeo outlined 12 demands in May that any normal country should be able to meet. In turn, the United States is ready to open a new chapter between our countries.
- The United States is working with partners in the region, and beyond to stop malign activity by Iran and its proxies in Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, and elsewhere.
- February 11th will mark 40 years since this brutal regime came to power. The Trump Administration stands with the Iranian people, as they demand new freedoms and accountability they deserve.
STRENGTHENING LONG-TIME ALLIANCES AND BUILDING NEW PARTNERSHIPS
“These steps toward rapprochement are necessary for greater security in the face of shared threats. And they hint at a brighter future for the region.” – Secretary Pompeo, January 10, 2019
- The Trump Administration is strengthening America’s alliances and rallying Middle East nations to work together for our shared security and prosperity.
- The United States will continue to ensure that our ally Israel has the military capacity to defend herself, including against the Iranian regime’s aggressive adventurism.
- The Trump Administration is nurturing new diplomatic and economic ties among Middle East nations—ties that were unimaginable until recently.
- The United States is working to establish the Middle East Strategic Alliance to confront the region’s most serious threats and bolster energy and economic cooperation.